December 12, 2008

Oprah and I have a lot in common - who knew!

In the past couple of days I have been reading previews of Oprah's upcoming magazine article where she will discuss her recent weight gain. The magazine comes out on January 5th, so I have no way of knowing what she wrote in the article but I have some ideas. I could probably write that article - about my life.

Weight gain, weight loss - and then weight again gain is an awful thing. It happens to so many people. One can argue that Oprah Winfrey is one of the smartest, most accomplished women alive - yet, food and weight is something she hasn't been able to conquer.

I saw a recent interview with her where she admits that she is addicted to food. While I would rather believe that food is not an addictive substance like nicotine or crack - i think it is - for some people. It is a tougher addiction than nicotine or crack since we all have to eat everyday. It cannot be given up cold turkey, never to be touched again.
To make peace with food is a complicated issue which I don't claim to fully understand or give adequate advice to those who have a food addiction.

Since I am not a scientist I don't know why some people develop an unhealthy relationship to food - but the fact remains that they do. Maybe it is a genetic predisposition; like that to diabetes, cancer or hair loss. Who knows. What we know is that it exists and so we have to work with what we know.

A genetic predisposition to something does not mean that we are helpless and have role to play in our destiny.

While all the salad in the world cannot make me look like Angelina Jolie - good food choices and exercise can make me look like the best me.

It all sounds so simple.

Eat less - move more and Voila! Weight loss. Then maintenance.
But no! Food is such a complicated subject. It soothes us when we are unhappy, it is there to celebrate with when we are happy.

All this may mean nothing to a person who has no food issues.
But I know that there are millions of people who know exactly what I am saying.

Millions of people who are not reading my blog - but if they were - they would know exactly what I am saying.

What am I saying?

I am saying that early this year I embarked on a weight loss regimen and was quite successful with it.

Then mid year I started becoming lax with myself.

And now toward the end of the year - I feel like I have lost some control over the battle. Not all control - but some control.

How does Oprah's struggle make me feel?

It makes me feel less guilty. With all her private chefs and fitness instructors - if she is still not able to win the war on terror - oh sorry, I mean the war on fat - then it is a huge and complicated problem.
It certainly doesn't give me license to throw in the towel and say, "if Oprah is fat then I'll be fat". But less guilt nevertheless.

Struggling with one's weight is a life long battle for some. It can be managed though with hard work, realistic goals and expectations. This is a topic for another post.

Tell me about your struggle with weight.
What works for you ... What doesn't.

Lets make 2009 a healthful and peaceful year.

Until I eat again!

No comments: