December 29, 2008

I Never Crave a Salad Until I Do!

Most of my cravings are unhealthy. Who am I kidding. ALL my cravings are unhealthy. Once in a while though, I crave a salad. When that happens I am so thankful that I don't question it. I just run out to get a salad before the craving passes.

Chop't is an excellent place to satisfy that fleeting craving.

I walked into a Chop't today and ordered a salad. They have choices of the greens. Romaine, Spinach, Mesclun and Arugula (for an extra 50 cents). I decided on the Romaine.
Then you have the option to pick 4 toppings from a list of what looked like 50 choices. You get a 5th one if you go before noon. What luck ... I was there before noon.
I had cherry tomatoes (the only kind of fresh tomatoes that should be had in the winter). Shredded carrots, cucumbers, chickpeas and for my 5th - some beets. It was a generous portion.
One guy puts all that you ask for in a huge plastic bowl; than another dumps it on a cutting board and chops away with a huge Mezzaluna (moon shaped Italian knife). He chops until everything is cut into bite sized pieces - hence the name Chop't. Quite clever, don't you think?

The salad is cut into the ideal bite sized pieces that can be eaten at a desk or even on a first date without looking awkward, as your lettuce dangles from the side of your mouth. I assess many a food by, if they are appropriate for business lunches or dates (the two tend to overlap - nothing messy like spaghetti, or stinky like raw onions).
{I know there is something grammatically wrong with the above sentence - but I don't know how to fix it. You know what I mean though? Right?}

Since it was before noon and I was going to have the salad later, I got the dressing on the side. A generous portion of Balsamic Vinaigrette.

I am eating the salad at my 'office desk' as I write this and am so satisfied and happy. I can't believe it. I am actually being satisfied, and made happy by a salad on a cold December day. What is the world coming to!

All this and a piece of bread for $7.50. Not bad I say. Not bad at all.

While a salad made from home can cost a fraction of the above amount - a 'holy' craving such as the one for a salad - I am willing to shell out some dough.

Today is New Year's eve eve. About 3 more days of holiday excess and debauchery that starts from Thanksgiving day. I think it is kind of fashion forward of me to get a head start on the whole diet thing that starts on January 2nd for a countless number of people (me included). While I intend to enjoy New Year's eve eating whatever I please, I am thankful for today's salad craving. It gives me hope that I will be able to get on the healthful wagon easily in 2009.

Happy New Year to all.

I sincerely hope that 2009 is better than 2008.

Do you plan to make any resolutions for the new year?
Let me know what they are.

Until I eat again!

No comments: