December 4, 2008

Last Post This Year about Thanksgiving - I Promise

By now all are aware of my love of Thanksgiving.

After the day is over and all the dishes are washed and the guests have gone home … what I enjoy most are leftovers!
Ah! Just thinking of them right now is making me hungry.



They are best enjoyed on the couch watching my favorite show – Law and Order Criminal Intent maybe and preferably all alone.
Everything tastes so much better since all the flavors have married with each other and really bloom on the plate.
Maybe not too many points on visuals but the taste. Ah the taste.

The stuffing has had a chance to absorb more flavor; the gravy is richer and darker - oozing with the essence of pure turkey; and the mashed potatoes – oh the mashed potatoes. The roasted garlic has permeated each and every cell of the potato and become more garlicky – but not a in your face harsh garlic flavor. Instead, a smooth luscious flavor that envelopes you like a warm blanket.
Okay, I’m done. Sorry if I was too corny for your liking (I know I was too corny for my liking), but I promise there will be no such talk until November 2009.

I promised there would be no more Thanksgiving posts but I didn’t promise that this would be a short post.
I just wanted to share my uncooked turkey. A thing of beauty. Or is it beauty only a mother could love? I don't know.

{I realize it is sideways-but I couldn't straighten it ... technology is still hit or miss for me}





The holding area pre-feast.





I show you this to tell you that don’t be like most New Yorkers who complain that they have tiny kitchens.

My advice:

Be organized. Be very organized.

Use rooms other than the kitchen.

Pre prep as many things as you can; trust me, even with all the preparation – things will get hairy when the guests are hungry and surrounding the kitchen looking for things to eat.
I think Martha (Stewart for the rest of you) has created a bit of a delusion in some of us. She used to talk about throwing an omelet party or a pasta party where your guests pick their fillings and you prepare your guests’ desires to order.
Unless you live in one of Martha’s houses- just stick to pre-prepping and preplanning.
Okay, I am done.
I am ready to put Thanksgiving to rest.



Since I promised no more Turkey Talk this year - some parting shots.





Checking if the drippings are good and not burning.




Mmmm, So good, so delicious!


Until I eat again!

No comments: