November 5, 2008

Don't Be Afraid of the Turkey!

15 Days to Thanksgiving!

Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday of all times. It involves the most important things to me - Food, Friends and Family...corny but true.

I made turkey the first year I came to the States, when I was 16 and had never seen a turkey in my entire life. I believe Gourmet or some such magazine was my guide and I created an entire "Traditional" meal. That was a long time ago. Every year since, I learned some new technique from someone. Anyone.

Martha (Martha Stewart to all of you), for instance taught me to soak cheesecloth in butter and drape it over the breast so it doesn't get dry. I do that sometimes, it really does work.

David Rosengarten (who had one of the best shows on the Food Network - when the network was worth watching) made a turkey where I he removed the breast meat as soon as it was done and then let the rest of the bird cook sans the breast. He paraded the turkey in the dining room for the waiting guests right before he removed the breast and then no one was the wiser, and the bird was pure perfection. I haven't used this trick but seems like an excellent idea.

Brining has been a big thing is the recent past-I will admit I have never tried it - primarily due to lack of space. I don't have a fridge big enough that will accommodate my turkey while it bathes in salty liquid.
For years I have felt like a fake never having brined my turkey but today as I write this I read an article in the New York Times (November 12th, 2008) by Harold McGee. He is not a fan of brining and he explains why. Check it out. I feel so much better now.

Then there is the deep fried turkey-sounds sooo delicious but sooo dangerous. I wouldn't try it for the world. I will wait for someone named Bubba to invite me to his house in the woods where he and his buddies will be frying up some turkey outside the garage. I promise to take some side dishes.

The techniques that I use now to achieve a succulent, moist bird is a compilation of techniques and tips from dozens of magazines, cook books and television shows. Going to cooking school helped too. Hopefully, the following will help you.

First and foremost:

Do not be nervous. Remember, the turkey is NOT the most important part of the day. Its your family and friends and other things that you are thankful for.
This year I am most thankful that the White House is going to have the correct residents living in it for the next 4 years.

Buy the best quality turkey you can afford.

Throw away the plastic pop up thingi if your bird has one. It means nothing when it pops up.

Let the turkey stand on the counter for 30 minutes ( a bit more if you can stand it) before you put it in the oven).

Take out the giblets and the neck in the plastic bag before you put the turkey in the oven.

Do not baste every 20 minutes as many recipes say, because
- opening and closing the oven again and again just lowers the temperature of the oven and
- I don't really think it helps that much

I just start the turkey in a high oven - 450 degrees for 30 to 45 minutes-peek in once to see if I may need to turn it around if it is getting too dark on one side - then lower the oven to 350, and just let it go for at least another hour - depending on the size of your turkey.

I read all those formulas of 20 minutes per pound, etc. - it doesn't really always hold true. Things vary turkey to turkey and oven to oven.

Instead, learn a temperature. Turkey is done at 160 degrees. Once the thickest part of the thigh (without touching the bone) registers 160 - your bird is done - simple - simple - did I say simple?

Make sure you let it rest for 30 minutes before you carve it.

The resting bird also gives you ample time to reheat the side dishes in the newly vacated oven, and gather your guests around the table.

Spend some time learning to prepare a good gravy, and most sins of the turkey with be masked by that.

Take a deep breath in. Relax.

Now tell me your favorite ways to make turkey.
Tell me your fears and I will try to quell them.
Ask me any questions that you may have. I promise to get back to you.
Come back for more pre-Thanksgiving talk.

Until I eat again!

1 comment:

samantha227 said...

The first time I made a turkey all by myself was the winter after my mother died nad I was having a holiday gathering with friends and family. The only details I fully remember are that I bought the fresh bird at Jefferson Market in Greenwich Village and that (and this is them most importnat part) a friend who's cooking skills I admire complimented me on the turkey, saying it was the best he had ever had. I have maybe cooked one or two more since then, but I can proudly say that I made at least one great roast turkey!!!