November 13, 2008

Can Thanksgiving be Healthful without being Boring?

One of the things I enjoyed several weeks before Thanksgiving was sifting through food magazines, cookbooks and television shows - trying to come up with my menu. One common ingredient in most recipes is butter. While I have nothing against butter - 2 sticks per dish when there are an average of 8 dishes on the table does not a healthful meal make. To saute carrots, onions and celery in 2 tbs of butter is good ... to do the same in 2 cups of butter is approaching Paula Deen's land of insanity.

This year as I plan my menu - my major goal is to make it simple, delicious and healthy. The first 2 goals I have had before but the 3rd is new.

So the question is Can the Thanksgiving meal be healthful without being boring?

I think so.

Lets review the things that most probably will show up on the table.

Turkey - the star of the meal is very low in fat even when it is draped in a butter soaked cheesecloth (see previous post).

Mashed Potatoes - Potatoes are a maligned vegetable for no reason what so ever. They are high in potassium, vitamin C and folate. They contain a trace amount of fat.
Its usually what'd done to the potato that gives it a bad rap.
I will be mashing mine in buttermilk, loads of garlic and butter

Sweet Potatoes - are not so maligned, rightfully so. Sweet Potatoes are rich in beta-carotene and a multitude of antioxidants.
I intend to make them with maple syrup, ginger and maybe walnuts or pecans. Control your urge to say Yumm-O

Root Vegetable Medley - What could be bad about that?
Nothing I say ... nothing at all

The Stuffing
I am not entirely sure what kind I will be making this year
I still have some time to decide. Stuffing is my favorite thing to make and so I take my time deciding what exactly I'll do. After having made it a gazillion times - I don't use a recipe. I change my mind at the last minute and throw things in. No one knows what exactly I will be cooking until after it's cooked and I put on some photos to prove it.
Some of my favorite ingredients to put in the stuffing are:
Sour dough Bread
Corn Bread
Wild Rice
Chestnuts
Leeks
(I think I have the making of my stuffing right here)

Roasted Brussels Sprouts
So good-so misunderstood. So high in magnesium. potassium, riboflavin, thiamin...the list goes on and on

Cranberry Sauce with orange segments and orange zest - cranberries have 5 times the antioxidant content of broccoli.
Nothing wrong here at all.

Salad - Don't know which kind yet.
All good

Dessert
Difficult to rationalize and make 'good'.
The only way to deal with this one is to exercise portion control or use Dr. Oz's u-turn technique that I have been using all year. You can look it up in his book: You- On a Diet

I think I have my menu.

The starters will probably be outsourced to the guests coming over who insist on bringing something.

I might make my Cognac Scented Chicken Livers on Croutons.
Chicken livers are high in zinc and selenium and they are just so delicious.

I have to stop now - I am getting hungry.

I feel good about my menu. I think it is going to be a healthful Thanksgiving Feast and no one will be the wiser.
Thank God we don't need Rice Cakes and Slim Fast Shakes not to feel guilty about enjoying the glorious day that is Thanksgiving.

Share your Thanksgiving menu with me.
Want some ideas of what to make? I can help

Until I eat again!

1 comment:

samantha227 said...

I am not sold on stuffing made with rice. I hold true to the stuffing of my youth -- store-bought dried cubed bread crumbs (Pepperidge Farm)combined with celery and onions sauted in lots of butter. And ofcourse it is "stuffing" and not "dressing". It must be put in the bird. It is simple and "traditional". When I come across stuffing with chestnuts, mushrooms or other "alien" items I am abit dismayed.... where is the gummy mass of starch and fat I love so dearly???