October 20, 2008



2000 is Really Enough - Calories that is.

Today there is an op-ed piece in the New York Times: 2000 is Really enough.

I think putting calories on fast food restaurant menus is an excellent idea. Whether people struggle with their weight or not - everyone needs to be aware of how many calories we should take in a day. And more importantly, how many calories there are in our favorite foods. I don't think that we need to get obsessive and militant about it and that we eat with a calculator next to our plates. But to know that one seemingly harmless muffin has close to 500 calories - I think that is helpful. Thats a third of some people's intake (not mine) without them realizing it.

The piece talks about some corporations voluntarily offering to show calories on their menu boards. I am most looking forward to Taco Bell doing it. One knows that when they are eating fried chicken, it is laden with a ridiculous amount of calories; but I have always wanted to know how much a bean burrito at Taco Bell runs-calorie wise. For a dollar and nineteen cents, sometimes a Taco Bell burrito hits the spot. I don't care what you think of me now - I confess - I like bland, insipid but cheap food sometimes. It hits the spot.

I have talked about the calorie display on menu boards before. I know that it has made me stand and stare at certain menus and walk out because nothing is less that 600 calories. Q Doba is guilty of that. And so it Chipotle. I don't really go into Mc Donald's type places for that to count. (I know, I know I wrote about the Angus Burger-but it was obviously an event-that I wrote about it)!

I say keep the calorie display on fast food menus - it can only help.

Until I eat again!

No comments: