June 9, 2008

June 9th, 2008

It is a struggle everyday to eat healthfully. I wish it wasn't the case but it is. I was at the Green Market in Union Square on Saturday - I bought a fresh pressed apple and raspberry juice without added sugar-that was $3/- Not bad. Next I wanted some bread. Nothing less that $7 for half a loaf or $10 for a loaf. I kept moving on. Everything looked so beautiful but I was looking for something that I could eat at work. In the refrigerator I had some whole wheat pita, cottage cheese and mesclun greens. I just wanted a little something to make the meal I would create with these ingredients interesting, and the 8 hours I would have to spend at work bearable. I circled the market twice just admiring the beautiful produce and the flowers - but not being able to figure out what I should get. As I was coming to the end of the market-I saw some beautiful Jersey Tomatoes. That would be good - I thought. I'll slice a ripe and delicious tomato and that'll round out my lunch beautifully. I walked up to the tomatoes and picked one up. I handed it to the woman, looking at her apologetically that I was just buying the one. "Would you like a bag?" she asked - something everyone at the market is doing now. I was shaking my head no and opening my wallet readying it to hand her 50 cents, a dollar maybe. "One seventy five" she said. I would be lying if I said that I wasn't a little take aback. I wanted to just say no thank you and walk away - but I was getting late. I handed her $2 and she gave me back a quarter. I walked the block to work shaking my head and wondering how one is supposed to eat healthfully and not break the bank. I had such a sticker shock that I didn't even buy my cup of coffee that I normally do. I was just going to make coffee at work and not spend the $1.

Today, I am at Starbucks and wanted lunch. It is close to 100 degrees outside so I didn't want to walk far - I saw a Subway and thought this should do. I don't think my wallet can stand another shock today. And if Jared lost weight on it - I can find something to eat here. I ordered the 6 inch Tuna on whole wheat with lettuce and cucumbers. I think I am done with tomatoes for a few days and then there is the salmonella scare these days. I was looking for the calorie postings and my turn came too soon to comprehend all the numbers. Is it the price or the calories? I don't know. As soon as my turn came I said Tuna on whole wheat. I just finished eating it sitting in Starbucks. I went on the Subway website for calorie information. A 6 inch sub is 530 calories and 270 from fat. I clearly could have made a better choice but I am not going to beat myself over it. $4.74 and $1.90 for coffee at Starbucks. I don't intend on making Subway a regular habit for lunch or any other meal since the sandwich tasted quite bad. But as I noted on past posts - I think this calorie posting is a good thing. It makes me mindful of what I am eating. So not to sound like a broken record - but these postings can be helpful.

Eating at these fast food places and not having a satisfactory experience is a whole other post for another day.

Until I eat again.

No comments: